Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cursed

There is a little something in our family known as "The Young Family Curse."

If you know me, you have probably heard be refer to this before. It is a real thing. It exists. When you marry, your spouse marries into it. It cannot be explained. There is no logical reason for it. I know that Eric, Rachel and Danielle will tell you they have experienced it first hand. I believe my brothers and I each tried to explain the curse to our prospective spouses...I guess they must have really loved us, because they were willing to see what happened.

There are endless examples of the Young family curse...when you go to the Doctor and you hear the words, "there is a less than 1% chance that it could be this or that," you come to expect that's what it will be.

We seem to fall over backwards into bad luck. If something strange can happen to us, it will. You will choke on medicine, cut yourself on a butter wrapper, bend over to see that your sandal just broke, and have your bra strap break at the same time...have stitches in places you should have never been cut in the first place, watch your Mother accidentally almost cut off your husbands ear with a knife and other random medical/social issues.

Yes the curse has struck us all, but at least we have something to blame our misfortune on. We all joke about it my family.

The thing I have come to realize about the Young Family curse, is that, while all these little unfortunate/strange things happen, in the end, everything always works out. People become well, and things get replaced....and we always have a good story to tell each other...hey, at least we can laugh at ourselves.

These odd life experiences somehow mold us into who we are as adults... There has never been a Young Family curse situation that we haven't been able to find a solution to, or overcome. So next time we get some news we aren't thrilled about, or something odd happens, we just have to remember it's another chapter in our story...and someday we will look back on it and laugh.

So for my husband and sister-in-laws, thanks for joining our ride. You knew it would be a journey, but I'm sure it's not what you had expected...at least we have made you laugh with our funny life situations...and sometimes laughing is all you can do!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

oh man i'm dying of laughter right now. so true! your bra incidence cracks me up. i remember one time when i was at byu running across university on my way to walmart to get groceries. i was halfway across that huge intersection when my strapless bra totally gave up the ghost and came off. i about DIED. perhaps it was a warning of my luck to come in the next year??? :)