Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, January 5, 2009

Beauty Queen, didn't you know?

Reader beware, this is pretty much a post for the ladies.

Last night as I was laying WIDE AWAKE in bed, one of the things that crossed my mind was that I needed to paint my nails. My old polish was starting to chip. Now, for anyone who really knows me, they know that 99% of the time I always have my nails painted. Sometimes I have been made fun of for always having my nails painted, but that's ok, I've come to take the criticisms as compliments over the years.

I was trying to remember who got me started on doing my nails last night. I think it was a combination of my Mom (who always had great manicured nails) and my Grandma Mabel (aka Mabes). Mabes use to take me for manicures and pedicures when I was like 6 or 7 years old. Of course, I instantly became addicted.

Then, as my mind began to wander, I started thinking about all the women in my life who have had a beauty impact on me. The list was pretty amazing. I think I'll try to recall some of them :)

My Mom - Definitely the nails. She also taught me to always go to a salon to get your hair done. I remember always going to the real beauty salon ever since I started cutting my hair.

Mabes - I think she is the original Queen of Beauty. Still to this day she cannot walk by Nordstrom or Macys without helping to support the make up industry, in a very big way. She taught me about nail polish, hair supplies, make up and to always wash your hair after swimming with special shampoo, otherwise, your hair will turn green.

My Aunt Susan and Melissa - Thank you for introducing me to Mac make up & to mineral make up. It has made a big impact on my life over the years :)

Chloe - Lip gloss. No need to say more. I'm convinced lip gloss was invented just because they knew you'd be coming into the world some day. Thank you for getting me hooked!

Krista- Beauty Supply. I would be lost without this store. You have shared your fortune of hair/nail/beauty products with us all, and we are forever in your debt. My hair is healthy & happy because of you. You were also the first person who informed me about eye brow waxing, thank you in a big way for that :)

Andrea - Burts Lip Balm. Still many, many, many years later, I'm addicted to it. I cannot go a day without sliding it's tingly goodness over my lips. You also once gave me a bottle of OPI nail polish called "Not so bora-boring pink." To this day, it is still one of my favorites.

Megan - Sensaria. Love the lotion - it's so fresh and clean, and I love that it's all natural! You also realize the mental/social value of a girls day at the salon. When is our next Dosha girls day?

Jenn - Solar nails. You helped me have that "special" look on my wedding day. Ya, I could have done my nails myself, but you taught me that sometimes you have to treat yourself to the good stuff.

Rachel - Informed me that anti-aging moisturizer was the way to go. She was right - and it's really helped my skin.

Danielle - Taught me to look good in a pony tail. She always looks like a million bucks even with her hair in a pony tail. I've adopted her philosophy on many mornings, altho, it doesn't look nearly as good on me.

Tina - It's been a long time since we've spent time together, but you taught me about beauty rest. Honestly, you did - about getting a good night sleep, and eating healthy fruits and veggies for good skin - and that olive oil was good for my over all health. As I have become older, I realize the value of a good nap and good food. You were then and are now, wise beyond your years.

Signe - Ahhhh, I think we taught each other about make up. It was all an experiment back in our first days of being set free with our own clinique make up bags. It was a fun ride, and we've come a long way since our light blue eyeshadow, and icy pink lip gloss.

I'm sure there are many other people who floated across my mind last night. For all you ladies who I know, I want you to know that I appreciate all the beauty tips and insight we have shared over the years. Clearly, it has had a lifelong impact on me. I've always thought that women shared instant connections, and as I think of all I know, and the diversity of the women in my life, it's funny how beauty is the common connection that we all share. Sure, there are the beauty products, but it goes more than surface level - it's more skin deep. We have all shared and given useful insight to help us feel and look more beautiful on the inside as well as the outside.

With that said, who is ready to hit the salon?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

oh man, i'm gonna catch my breath after laughing.

:hold on:

okay. seriously, the pony tail is actually the "i'd rather sleep in 1 more minute than get up and do my hair" look. I probably take first prize on needing to do my hair more. Maybe THAT should be my new year's resolution! Hmm. And by the way, you're sweet.

Krista said...

Are you kidding me? That was hilarious! That memory of yours continues to amaze me. Love ya!