Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

For my brothers

Last night I had a dream about a restaurant called Fryer Tucks....which got me thinking what ever happened to that place? Lets rewind about 24 years back.

When we were growing up, the 4th of July was a BIG occasion. Every year we'd get together with my Mom's side of the family (there were oodles of us) and celebrate. We had the usual-fried chicken, potato salad, homemade pies, etc. Some years we'd celebrate at Grandma's house. I remember going to Washington park one year, Silver Creek Falls another and countless trips to the beach. I always remember having the best time - even the year our cousins friend brought an illegal firework to Silver Creek Falls and let it off.

Many, many good memories.

As are many holiday gatherings, the main focus was really about the food. Every year we'd get a bucket of KFC. Only people didn't call it KFC then, it was called "The Colonel's." It was the one thing that everyone in my family really liked. (OK, no wonder I'm a vegetarian today). But it was tradition and we had come to expect it every year.

Well, one year my Mom told us we'd be getting Fryer Tucks chicken. We all threw a fit to no end. (Sorry about that Mom). Anyway, I guess Fryer Tucks was the "in" chicken that year. I remember driving to Beaverton, yes, Beaverton to go and pick it up. I remember my Dad saying under his breath "this better be really good chicken." Well, as the story goes, the chicken was gross. I think the adults said they liked it, but us kids - we wanted nothing to do with that chicken. There were probably like 11 kids (all cousins) I'm guessing. We still had a fun 4th of July, but it will forever be remembered as the year we had "Fryer Tucks." To this day, we have never let my Mom live it down.

Today I looked up Fryer Tucks and it is still in Portland. I nearly fell out of my chair. I had to immediately email my brothers the link.
http://www.fryertuckchicken.com/. My brother Brett responded with a simple phrase "LOL-AND HARD!" That's it.

Yes, the year we had Fryer Tucks chicken will forever be remembered...and who knows maybe they really do have good chicken? Their website says they have been in business for 40 years. Hard to imagine they would still be around if they didn't have good chicken.

I think the reason I dreamed about Fryer Tucks last night, is because, in my family, every year for Christmas Eve dinner I make a pot roast. I've been toying with idea of making something new this year - A standing rib roast. A friend of mine at work swears by them, and after reading the directions, it actually seemed much easier than a pot roast. My only hang up is that every year I always make the pot roast. Just like my family growing up and the year of Fryer Tucks, I'm wondering about breaking with tradition this year.

Who knows, in years to come, maybe my kids will look back on this as "the year of the Rib Roast."

0 comments: