Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Kitchen Table

Tonight I was sitting at the kitchen table playing tic-tac-toe with Tyler, it was the first time he had played tic-tac-toe. I started to look at our kitchen table, and realized it has been a huge object in our lives.

My mind started to drift off thinking of our kitchen table, about all the events that have taken place at it. Not only has it served as a place that we eat our meals at and talk about our days events, it's served as a centerpiece of our lives.

When Eric proposed to me, I remember coming home and setting my ring box on the table. I remember addressing my wedding invitations & writing thank you notes on that table. I remember setting many car seats on that table, putting together baby books, wrapping birthday and Christmas presents, having birthday party dinners at that table, Christmas and Thanksgiving meals. I remember falling asleep at that table as I held my baby in my arms. I remember laying my arms down on the table and burying my head in that table-tears streaming down my face, after hearing news that someone I loved had just passed away. I can remember piling blankets on that kitchen table on Saturday morning to make a fort...the smell of French Toast still lingering in the air. I remember teaching Tyler how to write his name at that table. I remember Chloe reading me books from the table while I would make dinner.

Yes, our kitchen table has most definitely served as a corner-stone in our lives. Funny how little things like a kitchen table can hold so many memories. I look at it tonight and I can remember Chloe sitting at that table in a booster seat, because she was not yet big enough to sit in a chair and reach her food. Where does the time go? Thank goodness the memories stick around to remind me of just how great a piece of furniture can turn out to be, when you share it with the people you love.

1 comments:

Mary said...

What a great post! I had to read it again! I love the weekly pictures. Missed you at the beach. Hope all is well.